“We help dioceses and bishops’ conference reap the fruits of digital innovation, using the Catholic App and related technologies and global best practices.”
THE CATHOLIC APP
The Catholic App is a true mobile cross-platform experience. Download the UK version for Android directly from Google Play here and download the iPhone/iPad UK version here. If you live outside the UK then sign up here, provide your country and we will notify you when global evaluation access is available. Initially, the app covers a central part of the Archdiocese of St Andrews & Edinburgh. We shall be adding new dioceses and bishop’s conferences shortly. If you live outside UK, you can still contact us to get a feel for the app, and we shall be happy to provide you with special access, before the international versions are launched.
OUR APP ON FACEBOOK
Bringing 130 000 people to church
The Catholic App is a part of an ecosystem of supportive technologies and activities, e.g. technology for navigation, and an activity like data collection and codification, are needed for all of this to work well. So far the impact of our work can be correlated with 130 000+ church visits. Moreover, 68% of the Catholic App users are under the age of 55. Any diocese or Bishops’ Conference in the world that prioritizes demographic sustainability, should explore this solution, since every week we have more and more evidence of the positive impact.
Musemantik also delivers additional services which help dioceses to become truly digital, including:
- Helping you to reach out to more Catholics, by distilling data about churches, Mass and Confession times and make it digitally accessible
- Helping make your churches to have a complete digital presence on online maps. The Catholic App benefits from these and works in unison with them. These online maps are used by 1-2 billion people worldwide and most dioceses have very poor-quality online map listings which contains plenty of errors and omissions. The benefit of fixing this is that more people will find your churches and attend Mass. It also helps improve the accuracy of the navigation features in the Catholic App. There are many technical challenges in trying to fix Google Maps listings, but we have developed a specialized process which overcomes the hurdles and solves the problem for you.
- Taking high-quality church photos, to be used in online map listings and the Catholic App. Photos can have a big impact in the digital world, making churches more tangible and attractive to the digital audience. We can also review your existing church photos free of charge.
DIOCESE/BISHOPS’ CONFERENCE EXPRESSION OF INTEREST
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Q: I represent a diocese or Bishops’ Conference and we want to have this app now. What should I do?
A: Contact us using the form above and we will get in touch to discuss how we can launch it in your area. We will work with dioceses on a “first come first served” basis.
Q: I am a Catholic and I want this app now. What should I do?
A: Call your diocese and ask them or the Bishops’ Conference to express their interest by using the sign-up above. You can also sign up as an individual for the newsletter below, but the diocese must get in touch before we can launch it in your territory.
Q: I represent a diocese or Bishops’ conference and the app sounds great but I feel we are behind on being “digital” (incl. behind in regards to websites, social media, placing churches on online maps, having correct information etc.)
A: Don’t worry, we can work with you and help you get these things right. If you have social media pages on Facebook, the app will help promote them. We can assist or advice you in compiling information that the Catholic App and other supportive technologies need, to make the users satisfied.
Q: Have you launched any other apps?
A: Yes, you can also download our Christian Meditation app for Android and for iOS or download our Android app for mental well-being or sign up for the iOS version and newsletter.
Q: How is your app unique?
A: This app is truly global while also truly local. It helps you to become demographically sustainable by reaching out to more Catholics. It was first officially announced in the Vatican (see the news section) and is result-focused: our ambition is to increase Mass attendance by working with you over time and configuring the app to give you the best results in your diocese. We believe that we can achieve this since we take responsibility for the product over time, will constantly measure its performance and improve it based on global best practices. For this reason, any diocese that signs up for the app will get free product upgrades for a substantial time. The priority is to serve the Catholics in your diocese, but we will market the app globally and bring you visitors from other dioceses and make sure they quickly can find their way and participate actively in your diocese. Also, we take design and usability seriously, to make sure the users will keep using the app over time.
Q: Will it be available in other languages?
A: Yes, we will translate it to any language you want for no additional charge. In particular, we can also have the initial call with you in English, Spanish, Polish, Swedish (and hope to add more languages soon). Other languages we prioritize for the app are French, German and Portuguese.
The Catholic App, completely customized for you
The Catholic App is the most ambitious global initiative of its kind, and was announced in the Vatican at end of the Year of Mercy in 2016. This app ecosystem is focused on delivering measurable spiritual and financial value for dioceses across the world, such as increasing Mass and confession attendance, by changing minds and hearts of Catholics. This is achieved using the state of the art technology that incentives and inspires individuals and adapts information in an intelligent and personal way.
• The app is completely customized with data about your diocese or bishops conference. When it is opened in your territory the name of your diocese and relevant information is shown. It feels wholly local.
• If you want the app to cover a whole country/bishops’ conference, you have even more control over what it is called and how it appears in your area. It is fully localized to use the language(s) in your country, both in the app store descriptions and the user interface. We can translate it to any languages supported by the Android and iOS operating systems.
• We market the app to Catholics around the world, so when they come to your area they more likely to already have it installed. Some Catholics might even plan their visits to your diocese(s) because they already know in advance how to engage with the religious activities where they are going. It is global.
• We add new features to the app and they appear there without your effort or you having to buy a new product. It feels fresh and you benefit from the insights we gain by delivering the app to dioceses around the world.
By default, the data is maintained this way:
1. You provide us with the complete data for the launch in your area, and then any changes are e-mailed to us and we update the database on your behalf.
The alternative model is:
2. If you have a technical person/team you could manage your own database, and then you take responsibility for keeping the data up to date.
Creating a separate app for you
We believe that being part of the global Catholic App, customized for your area, provides you with superior value. However, If there are some particular reasons for why you would like a completely separate app, this applies:
• We build an app for you based on an agreed specification.
• You take responsibility for maintaining the data
• You take full responsibility for marketing it and encouraging users to install it.
• The app can be for Catholics or other Christian denominations.
IN THE NEWS
As the Catholic App is a global initiative there have been hundreds of articles written about it after the announcement in November 2016. Here is a selection:
CATHOLIC HERALD: Scottish archbishop launches Mass-finding app
WORLD RELIGION NEWS: The Catholic App, Nicknamed ‘SINDR,’ Helps You Get To Confession
ROME REPORTS: GPS app launched to find Mass and confession time (video)
SIGN UP FOR NEWSLETTER